Tuesday, May 10, 2005

A snippet of mediocrity

Today has been somewhat boring.

Got up around 10am, showered, ate breakfast, brushed teeth, then out the door, iPod in hand, headphones in ears, british 80's music playing (for some strange reason - today was the smiths turn to bombard my aural senses on the bus to work), so get off bus, quick walk to the coffee shop, chat to my friend who proceeds to make my coffee (alas i chose the soy option), then stumble up the lane, into the foyer and into the elevator up to

my floor.


Currently work for me consists of several mid "twenties" aged colleagues filed neatly into workstation cubicles, answering or making calls to various strangers in the community who have some vague connection with what my company does to make money. Luckily these days i am a supervisor so dont actually make or take many calls, so that eases the numbness on the mind somewhat. Today my team is only 6 people strong, sometimes it can be up to 50 or 60. Our "Callcentre" (buzzword of this mellenium) runs 'campaigns" of various lengths, using various amounts of "temps". I prefer to call them people, but management like the word temps. I decided to join in on their buzzwords and offerred to use the term "minions", but management declined.


So I get to my desk, logon to my phone so they actually know i am at work. Apparently they judge whether you are at work by a 5 digit code on a report, rather than if they see you around the office, or better still at my desk. I proceedto login to my pc so I can check my emails and plan my working attack and how to use my "temps" today to get the best "productivity" (another great buzzword of the call centre world) from them.

So i plan my day as i sip my coffee and "analyse" the stats of the previous days work (being saturday - today is Monday). Nothing exciting going on really. Make pleasant smiles and nods to colleagues and get things ready for my temps when they arrive in an hour.


After 2 hours of "working" I announce to my staff that it is time for their break (really i am just dying to get another coffee and some fresh air). I quickly exit the callcentre and beeline for the elevators to descend back into the real world (well the Central Business District of Sydney anyhow) to get my second (and final) coffee for the day.


So back to coffee shop, same order, same Barrista, same iPod tunes, til i change and listen to some Muse. Coffee finished, i stroll back to work 10 mins later and return to office mode.


The rest of the day goes by uneventfully til the majority of the workers leave at 5pm. Unfortunately my staff and I are here for another 3 hours yet.


So this has been my day so far..............